One Day My Prince Will Come
I don’t care how unsentimental you may claim to be, almost every teenager catches themselves yearning for their “soulmate”. We dream up this perfect man or woman that will encompass all of our likes and dislikes, all of our hobbies and all of our physical preferences. I blame this phenomenon on the Disneyfication of our mentality that begins in early childhood. Don’t get me wrong, I am almost 20 years old and I make yearly trips to Disney World and I still think Beauty and the Beast is one of the most beautiful movies I’ve ever seen. However, I do realize that my obsession with fairy tale love stories has hindered a much more important relationship.
To be honest, during high school about 90 percent of my thoughts revolved around imagining myself in a perfect relationship. The other 10 percent covered family, friends, homework, God, food, theater, music, etc. These statistics are pretty bleak. I spent a whole lot of brain power thinking completely futile thoughts. And the worst part is, I still have the same problem. Once I realized that I was spending too much time thinking about and/or lightly stalking boys and not enough time on Prayer and the man that already loves me unconditionally, I still wasn’t able to break the habit. But I try.
It’s not a bad thing to have a crush on a boy or girl, especially if they emanate Christ, but you have to give up those fantasies if they are interfering with your all important relationship with the God that made both of you.
I was reminded of another truth bomb that I constantly choose to forget well I was watching the TV show, “How I met Your Mother”. One of the characters said to a hasty ex-boyfriend searching for his soulmate, “she’s on her way, and she’s getting here as fast as she can”. If we are called to be in a relationship, then we have to trust that God is getting our soulmate here as fast as He can. We have to remember that He is preparing the both of us, constantly, for each other.
It’s often our tendency to look around. To look towards the future or the things we want that we think we need. But those anxieties are pointless. So put them aside. And for all the women out there who are obsessing about being in a relationship with a perfect man, well, you already are. Every time you take Communion you are one with the greatest of all great men. Because Jesus makes every professional athlete, handsome millionaire, and dare devil actor look like a pansy. And he always will.
I learned most of this lesson from incredibly insightful prayer by St. Anthony of Padua, he basically said everything I needed to hear. I hope it can serve you as it did me. So here it is:
To have a deep soul relationship with another,
To be loved thoroughly and exclusively.But to a Christian, God says, “No, not until you are satisfied,
Fulfilled and content with being loved by Me alone,
With giving yourself totally and unreservedly to Me.
With having an intensely personal and unique relationship with Me alone.Discovering that only in Me is your satisfaction to be found,
Will you be capable of the perfect human relationship,
That I have planned for you.
You will never be united to another
Until you are united with Me.
Exclusive of anyone or anything else.
Exclusive of any other desires or longings.
I want you to stop planning, to stop wishing, and allow Me to give you
The most thrilling plan existing . . . one you cannot imagine.
I want you to have the best. Please allow Me to bring it to you.
You just keep watching Me, expecting the greatest things.
Keep experiencing the satisfaction that I am.
Keep listening and learning the things that I tell you.
Just wait, that’s all. Don’t be anxious, don’t worry
Don’t look around at things others have gotten
Or that I have given them
Don’t look around at the things you think you want,
Just keep looking off and away up to Me,
Or you’ll miss what I want to show you.
And then, when you’re ready, I’ll surprise you with a love
Far more wonderful than you could dream of.
You see, until you are ready, and until the one I have for you is ready,
I am working even at this moment
To have both of you ready at the same time.
Until you are both satisfied exclusively with Me
And the life I prepared for you,
You won’t be able to experience the love that exemplified your relationship with Me.
And this is perfect love.
And dear one, I want you to have this most wonderful love,
I want you to see in the flesh a picture of your relationship with Me.
And to enjoy materially and concretely the everlasting union of beauty, perfection and love that I offer you with Myself.
Know that I love you utterly. I AM God.
Believe it and be satisfied